Aesthetic damage is the damage caused to the contents and container of a house after an accident. The insurance is responsible for the costs derived from the materials and labor required as long as it is covered.

Home insurance can be complete, and more than one insured does not know the real scope of their policy. A coverage that is included in many home insurances is one known as cosmetic damage coverage.

What Is Cosmetic Damage Coverage?

The cosmetic damage is, as the name suggests, defect affecting the aesthetics of the content of a house after a disaster and altering the original features of the house.

These damages are caused indirectly since they are usually caused by a previous accident, such as a fire or the rupture of a pipe, or as a consequence of its repair. This coverage may be included by default in the policy or may be added additionally.

The purpose of the aesthetic damage coverage is to ensure that the parts of the house, such as the walls and floors, as well as the assets affected by the incident, recover their original aesthetics. For example, the furniture that was in the vicinity and has been affected recovers the appearance and design that it had before the repair of the accident.

What Is Cosmetic Damage?

On many occasions, when a loss like a leak takes place, some collateral damage occurs. For example, for the repair of certain water-related faults, it is necessary to break a tile or even cut the wall. 

In this case, through the water damage coverage, a restoration company would take charge of correcting these damages. The guarantee responsible for dealing with the correction of these flaws would be aesthetic restoration. This coverage would take charge, up to the financial limits set in the policy, of the repair, replacement or compensation of the elements affected by the claim covered in the insurance and in which its initial characteristics have been altered.

Many insurances also include in the aesthetic repair, the damages caused to the content, such as a bathroom cabinet that has been affected by water, fire-damaged kitchen tiles or living room furniture onto which water has leaked.